We love kids! Visit our St. Clair West family dental office today and get your kids comfortable with routine dental care!
It is commonly assumed that baby teeth are not as important as permanent teeth because they will eventually fall out, but the condition of your child's baby teeth may impact the development of their adult teeth. It is important that children develop good oral habits as they continue with these habits into adulthood. Learning preventative care helps towards maintaining healthy and happy smiles!
Our dentist suggests that your child's first dental appointment should be around the age of 1, or as soon as their first teeth come in. During their first appointment, our dental team will:
- Examine their mouth, teeth and gums
- Evaluate adverse habits (such as thumb-sucking)
- Assess whether a fluoride treatment is needed
- Teach you about cleaning their teeth and gums at home
- Suggest a schedule for regular dental visits
How to prepare your child for their dental appointments
Some kids may have a fear of going to the dentist, so here are a few tips on how to help them overcome this fear:
- Start young: The earlier your children are exposed to routine dental visits, the better.
- Be informative: Explain to your kids exactly what will happen at their dental visits so they know what to expect.
- Watch your words: Avoid words like "hurt" or "pain" when talking about the dentist. Instead, try rephrasing when describing dental processes, such as saying that the dentist is "looking for sugar bugs" or "counting your teeth".
- Avoid bribery: Try not to promise a treat if they behave well at the dentist because it might make them wonder what there is to be scared of or anxious about.
- Explain the importance of oral hygiene: Teach your child that good oral health is necessary so that they can eat and smile every day with no problems.
- Let us know their favourite Netflix show: We can play their favourite show during their appointment!
Our team at Humewood Dental is well experienced in dental care for children and is happy to provide dental services for the whole family at our St. Clair West dental office. Our team is committed to providing great first dental visits and building a lasting relationship with your child. Book an appointment with us today!